Water Damage Restoration Methods
Water is one of the most destructive substances in the indoor environment. Excess flooding or moisture can cause rapid deterioration of structures and personal properties. In that case, water damage can be more dangerous when the water cleanup services are postponed. Also, the destructive effects of water can be sharply reduced by the effective intervention of a restoration professional such as SERVPRO of Edmonds within the first 48 hours. Although water damage can be severe, restoration and water cleanup can still produce amazing results.
Water is an important substance to homes and businesses. Businesses and homes cannot survive without water. However, water in home or water in business can be a mess and is often caused by the following factors:
- Leaking or bursting pipes.
• Faulty household appliances.
• Natural disasters such as storms and other weather-related problems.
• HVAC issues.
• Faulty plumbing systems.
• Problems with water in home or water in business are also caused by basement humidity and sewer back up, which is invaded by the clogged drain lines and tree roots.
• Flash Flooding
What to do when you experience a flooded home:
Normally, more than 80% of the disasters that are handled by a restoration company or mitigation experts include flood damage, supply line break, pipe break, and storms. Addressing the issues with water in business or water in home should be faster because it is one of the critical ways of securing the structures of your personal properties. Therefore, the following are the various steps to consider when dealing with a flooded home:
• The excess water should be removed by mopping, blotting, and drying.
• The process of water cleanup should be carried out after you have removed items such as lamps, jewelry, and electronics.
• In the case of a supply line break or pipe break, switch off the main water line.
• If you happened to experience a flooded home during the summer, turn on the air conditioning systems for maximum drying.
• Before the water cleanup or water damage mitigation, art objects should be moved to a safe and dry place.
• After the water cleanup, inspect on what caused the pipe break or supply line break.
• During water damage restoration, you should remove colored mats from wet carpets.
• Drying of a flooded home should start when you have already switched off the main power supply. Also, mitigation and restoration experts recommend that you turn off the main gas supply during the water cleanup.
• Before deciding on the drying method to use for the emergency mitigation, it is imperative that you consulted with a trained and licensed professional
• You can also take photos and documentation of items and structures that are affected by the flood damage. The pictures and documentation can then be presented to a restoration company, which will give you a proper directive regarding the type of claim to pursue. There are two types of claims, water damage claim, and flood damage claim.
Things not to do after experiencing problems with water in home or water in business:
• Do not use the household vacuum for water removal during the restoration process.
• Do not turn on ceiling fixtures when the ceiling is wet. You should also avoid the rooms that have sagging ceilings.
• Do not leave magazines or books on a wet floor after the damage restoration.
• Do not fix electrical appliances or electrical sockets if you are not sure of the procedure to follow.